Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The King's Speech








I saw this movie today and it was spectacular.  All of my favorite British actors are in the cast (Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter) and they each did a superb job. The less well-known Timothy Spall portrays Winston Churchill and is delightful as always. Remember him from the movie Rock Star?





You know, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Rock Star.  Minus the formulaic, cheesy ending it was a pretty solid movie.  My opinion on the ending also has a lot do with the fact that I  have big problems with Grunge being viewed as 'more authentic' than other genres.  Talk about formulaic.  


And if I'm gonna digress and talk about Rock Star I have to mention the hilarious end credit sequence.  For those of you who have forgotten about Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, let me (and the crew of Rock Star) remind you:  






I'm so glad that Mark Wahlberg gracefully elected to have a sense of humor about his Funky Bunch days, though I still think he needs to explain to his brother Donny that this New Kids/Back Street Boys reunion tour is a mistake.  Yikes.  


Alright, back to The King's Speech.  I am so glad that this story was finally told.  I think the whole Wallis Simpson and Prince Edward affair tends to overshadow this most noble moment in The Royal Family's history, and I appreciate that King George VI is an honorable man who wants to serve his country, but has zero charisma.  One of the things that really bothers me about our current political landscape is that people will pay all sorts of attention to charismatic leaders without bothering to review their voting record or even dissect what it is that they are actually saying.  Just because you're a dynamic speaker, doesn't mean you have good intentions.  And please don't misunderstand me, I'm talking about Republicans and Democrats alike here. 




Check this guy out.  He's not sexy, but he makes sense.  







No comments:

Post a Comment