Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Are Mommy and Santa Having An Affair?

I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus
Underneath the mistletoe last night.
She didn't see me creep
Down the stairs to have a peep;
She thought that I was tucked up
in my bedroom fast asleep.

Then, I saw Mommy tickle Santa Claus
Underneath his beard so snowy white;
Oh, what a laugh it would have been
If Daddy had only seen
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night.

My second grade class performed this song during our Christmas play, and it left me feeling very confused.  One day after rehearsal I waited to speak with our music teacher Mrs. Grimes.  


"Mrs. Grimes, I don't understand.  Are mommy and Santa Claus having an affair?"  


Poor Mrs. Grimes.  She couldn't explain the song to me without informing me that Santa Claus does not exist.  So she smiled and said, "It's just a silly song."  


I'm sure I wasn't the first child to ponder the meaning of this song.  What do we have to do to phase it out?  



No comments:

Post a Comment