Thursday, December 23, 2010

Breaking Up With The Kardashians



So in case you haven't seen it, that's this year's Kardashian Christmas card.  Doesn't it look like an advertisement for an Aaron Spelling drama?  


I try really, really hard to abstain from watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians, but I will admit that every once in awhile I will get sucked in by a marathon.  As many of us know, that's how they hook you with these reality series- the marathons.  


It's pathetic how much I know about these people.  It's pathetic how much everyone knows about these people.  I bet more Americans could tell you that Rob used to date a Cheetah Girl than could name the Senate Majority Leader or think that Scott Disick is more of a threat to our country than our crumbling currency.  


I have a few ideas for New Year's resolutions that I'm still deciding on, but one is for certain: I'm determined to have a Kardashian free 2K11.  


I feel guilty when I watch this show, because I know that it is interesting for very superficial reasons- the family is rich and beautiful and that's it.  I'm sure they're all slightly intelligent (or at least savvy), but that aspect of their personalities is never featured on the show. None of the 'characters' are particularly witty, and even their family dramas are fairly tame and typical. There is absolutely no substance in the plot lines (if you can even call them that), and I can't relate to any of their day to day dilemmas.   


I know that I'm not saying anything new here.  We all know that the show is eye candy, but my brother asked me a question once that shed so much light on how much the series depends on their physical beauty and material possessions: 


Would you still watch if they were a middle class family and were all mildly disfigured? 

No comments:

Post a Comment