Thursday, September 23, 2010

Try To Make It Last

My gym has a valet service, and I happily utilize it as my gym is downtown and parking can be an issue.  A few months ago one of the valet drivers told me that he and the other valets always argue over who gets to park my car, because they like my taste in music.






I immediately felt a tremendous amount of pressure.


So for the past few months, each time I went to my gym, I tried to make sure that a 'cool' song was playing in my car.  I have even gone so far as to try and select a song that is rather obscure just to keep things fresh.


As the compliments continued, the pressure decreased and I grew overly confident.  The stereo in my car holds six compact discs, and my mixes are fairly random, but I could usually locate something decent fairly quickly.


One day the valet said, "I really liked that song in your car. Who is that?"


"Wilco," I arrogantly replied.  "Would you like the cd?"


He eagerly agreed.  I got in my car, began the drive home, and congratulated myself on a job well done.  And then I realized something.


I actually don't have good taste in music, or at least what a lot of people would consider completely 'cool' taste in music.  I fake it.  While I had given him exactly one Wilco song, this Wilco song was the only standout on one of the cheesiest mixes ever created.  The disc featured everything from Bruce Hornsby's "Every Little Kiss" to Steve Winwood's "The Finer Things".  





Oh, and this little gem.









No comments:

Post a Comment