Monday, September 27, 2010

The Girl without the Dragon Tattoo

My friend Brittany is one of the most fascinating people anyone could ever hope to meet.  She is extremely creative, shockingly beautiful, and flat-out hysterical.  She is also full of surprises.


A few weeks ago we were hanging out, and someone mentioned the novel The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.


Brittany says (very casually, very cooly):  "I haven't read it, but I'm actually on the cover of the book."


With any other person I might be skeptical, but with Brittany all things are possible.


Me:  "Really?"


Brittany:  "Yeah, I think I have a copy around here somewhere."


Sure enough:



That's Brittany!  Also, that tattoo was not added to her image.  That's Brittany's tattoo! (I made her lift her shirt and show me.)


So last night we were hanging out and I learned that Brittany is in the process of having her dragon tattoo removed.


Whaaat!?


So here's what makes Brittany cool, and what makes me a total loser: if I had a tattoo that was prominently featured on the cover of a novel that is a global phenomenon, I would never remove it. Not only that, I would probably go around introducing myself as "the girl with the dragon tattoo" and keep a copy of the novel in my purse at all times.  


I asked Brittany why she was removing the tattoo and she explained that she was tired of it and ready for something new. 


There are certain things that I learn from certain friends.  Brittany teaches me about fashion, art, and basically gives me lessons on "how to be cool."  Lesson number one: don't live in the past.  



No comments:

Post a Comment